A litmus check request

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 9 19:23:57 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 03:37:36PM -0600, Dave Babb wrote:
> I am about to do a lot of compiling. My copy of FreeBSD10.0 x64 P7 runs
> on a 1TB Samsung EVO. I used wblock's excellent articles to set it all
> up so that trim was utilized.
>
> I am asking that someone please review this attached fstab and validate
> for me, that at no time will any compilation intermediate files, or ".o"
> files will be written to the SSD. I am trying to protect the SSD.
>
> The ramdisk is where I run Code::Blocks from, and I have a bash script
> handling everything. However, I build kernels frequently, and am about
> to embark on a recently awarded QT project for a municipality.
>
> In this fstab I have moved /usr/obj to tmpfs.....

Keep in mind that /usr/obj is only used for building the FreeBSD system
itself.

Ports are built in the ports tree. Generally under
/usr/ports/<category>/<portname>/work

You could use unionfs (see mount_unionfs(8)) to overlay a tmpfs over /usr/ports.
I've used unionfs with nullfs to use a single ports tree in multiple jails,
see: http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/freebsd/using-nullfs-and-unionfs-for-the-ports-tree-in-a-jail.html

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)