USB ethernet adapter support

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 8 00:08:38 UTC 2014

On Sun, Sep 07, 2014 at 03:06:05PM -0700, Ross Penner wrote:
> I applied the patches manually and had some mixed success.
>
> I can see the device and it registers as ue0. unfortunetly, it doesn't
> completely work.
>
> When I plug it in, the console displays:
>
> ugen4.2: <Linksys> at usbus4
> cdce0: <Linksys Linksys USB3GIGV1, class 0/0, rev 2.10/30.00, adds 2> on
> usbus4
> cdce0: faking MAC address
> ue0: <USB Ethernet> on cdce0
> ue0: Ethernet address: 2a:d5:07:9d:01:00
>
> The output from 'ifconfig ue0':
> ue0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 MTU 1500
>         ether 2a:d5:07:9d:01:00
>         nd6 options=29<PREFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

Any diagnostics messages from cdce in /var/log/messages?

> Notably lacking a media or status entry.

From the cdce(4) manual page:

    The cdce driver does not support different media types or options.

> Is there any where I can go from here or should I wrote off this adapter
> and find a replacement?

Try without the CDCE_FLAG_NO_UNION flag in cdce_host_devs[]?

Have a look at the source code for the Linux driver. Maybe there is some
initialization or flags necessary that the cdce driver isn't doing.

Unpacking the windoze drivers and looking through the files (e.g. .inf files)
sometimes yields interesting info.

But looking for a replacement for which a FreeBSD driver exists might be a
good idea. :-(

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)