/etc on a separate filesystem ?

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Thu Sep 4 17:43:46 UTC 2014

On 04/09/2014 16:07, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Colleagues,
>
> Is it possible to keep /etc on a separate filesystem?

Lots of people have already pointed out that /etc/fstab is need to mount
all file systems other than /.

However, the answer is actually yes, if you are prepared to do a bit of
work, and you can do it within the standard FBSD framework. nanobsd is
an example of this, as is pfSense (or at least the embedded version I run).

The magic happens by creating /etc/diskless, which causes /etc/rc to
source /etc/initdiskless before doing any other rc work. This was
intended for diskless machines which mount their file systems via NFS,
but can be (ab)used for other purposes.

I suggest you take a look at /etc/initdiskless, which has documentation
as a comment near the beginning, and possibly
/usr/src/tools/tools/nanobsd/nanobsd.sh which builds FBSD for appliances.

Be warned that this isn't something for the inexperienced user.