/usr/src update

francesco scaglione scaglione.francesco at neuf.fr
Thu Oct 30 21:55:58 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm receiving warnings when trying to perform a "freebsd-update" on a
server:

# freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 5 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 8.4-RELEASE from update6.freebsd.org...
done. Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

The following files will be added as part of updating to
8.4-RELEASE-p18: /usr/src/share/zoneinfo/leap-seconds.list
/usr/src/share/zoneinfo/zone1970.tab

The following files will be updated as part of updating to
8.4-RELEASE-p18: /boot/kernel/linker.hints
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Africa/Bamako
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Africa/Banjul
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Africa/Conakry
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Africa/Dakar
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Africa/Freetown
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Africa/Lome
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Africa/Nouakchott
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Africa/Ouagadougou
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Africa/Sao_Tome
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Atlantic/St_Helena
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Pacific/Johnston

---

# freebsd-update install
Installing
updates...install: ///usr/src/share/zoneinfo/leap-seconds.list: No such
file or directory install: ///usr/src/share/zoneinfo/zone1970.tab: No
such file or directory done.

---

I had more or less the same problem on another server, this one running
10.0-RELEASE-p10 Release. In that case, following what I'd read on
the FreeBSD forum, I simply removed src from the "Components" in
freebsd-update.conf, since after checking I saw that /usr/src was empty.

On the other server though, running FreeBSD 8.4-RELEASE-p16, I saw
that the directory is not empty:

du -h src/
6.0k	src/etc/pkg
8.0k	src/etc
6.0k	src/share/keys/pkg/trusted
 10k	src/share/keys/pkg
 14k	src/share/keys
 16k	src/share
 26k	src/

---

Would it be safe to remove the src component from
freebsd-update.conf here as well or should I keep that?

Thank you very much for your help,
Francesco