Brand New User question

Phil phil at philseymour.net
Mon Oct 27 20:25:42 UTC 2014

Hi folks,
I’m just starting out with FreeBSD and very new to this environment. Could someone please point me in the direction of where I would find a “should- do” or "must-do" list after installing FreeBSD 10.0 for the first time. The key points would be security (the box is connected to the net) and where / how can I get the latest updates.
Also, is it fair to assume that during the installation process, the boot drive was configured as ZFS? I saw no reference to that during the O/S load.
Many thanks for any help offered.
Phil