ipfw and carp problems

Gerhard Schmidt schmidt at ze.tum.de
Mon Oct 27 14:17:28 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have a small problem with ipfw an carp.

i have two server with two carp ips and a firewall via ipfw.

the problem is tha ipfw via modul is default to deny. So when the carp
interfaces are initialized ipfw has no custom rules. Everything is
denied, even the carp packets. So every time I reboot one of the hosts
it comes up as master and after the firewall rules are initialized one
of the servers is demoted to backup, which one seams to be random.

My problem is that my setup need a new server do come up as backup
because is has to replicate the data from the running server before
being able to act as master. There could be data loss if a newly booted
server named master without prior replicating the data.

Is there a way to ensure that the firewall rules are up before the carp
interfaces are initialized or to load the ipfw module with default to
accept.

Regards
   Estartu

Gerhard Schmidt       | E-Mail: schmidt at ze.tum.de
TU-München	      | Jabber: estartu at ze.tum.de
WWW & Online Services |
Tel: 089/289-25270    |
Fax: 089/289-25257    | PGP-Publickey auf Anfrage