Unclear which version I should D/L...

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 27 03:36:14 UTC 2014

On Sun, October 26, 2014 8:34 pm, Phil wrote:
> My apologies for raising what must appear to be a very basic question, but
> I am attempting to crawl out of the clutches of Microsoft and have little
> to no experience outside of the Windows domain.
> Having carefully looked at the vast array of Linux and Unix distro’s
> available, I am keen to install FreeBSD on a Sun Microsystems box that I
> recently obtained through Ebay. The machine has dual x86 processors (AMD)
> and 32 Gb RAM. The boot disks are SCSI Ultra 320’s.

The machine model will definitely help. Knowing Sun, I would say, you most
likely have AMD Opteron CPUs (they will rather unlikely pack 32 bit
machine with amount of RAM the CPU will not be able to address as a
whole). So, the best bet would be FreeBSD 10.0 (or 9.3) release. Good
luck! I like your choice of OS, I myself fleeing my server away from Linux
to FreeBSD during last 2 or 3 years.

Valeri

> I have looked at your download mirror sites but am a little confused as to
> which version I should be getting.
> Any help would greatly appreciated. Thank you.
> Phil.

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago