wireless networking - halfway solved

Anthony Simm simm.anthony at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 24 20:35:52 UTC 2014

On 10/24/2014 10:19 PM, Warren Block wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2014, Anthony Simm wrote:
>> On 10/24/2014 09:00 PM, Warren Block wrote:
>>>
>>> I searched for firmware updates and found none.  Then I updated the
>>> Windows driver and surprise, the card now supported WPA.  I still have
>>> that T42, although it does not get used.  It worked the last time I
>>> tried FreeBSD on it, and I can drag it out if testing is needed.
>>
>> Would you really do that?
>
> If necessary, sure.
>
>> But for the time being let me try this Windoze update. Or do you think
>> that it is in fact updated? This machine came with Debian and has
>> reportedly not been used a lot but sure there was Windows on it at
>> some time. No such sticker though.
>
> If it made a WPA connection, you are set.  The output of 'ifconfig'
> shows some information on how it connected.

ifconfig now gives

ipw0: flags=8802<POINTTOPOINT, SIMPLEX, MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 2290
ether 00:0c:f1:5e:4c:58
nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11b
status: associated

So the card is really updated.
Great, that saves me this XP hassle!

> (It's possible I've forgotten or confused some of the details in the
> years since I did that with my T42.  But as I remember it, it did not
> work with WPA on FreeBSD until that Windows driver update.)
>
>> So for the Handbook, what's missing at least for this card, are the
>> commands to identify it, the legal acknowledgement in
>>
>> /boot/loader.conf,
>>
>> the addition of
>>
>> wlans_ipw0="wlan0"
>>
>> and
>>
>> ifconfig_wlan0="WPA SYNCDHCP"
>>
>> in  /etc/rc.conf
>>
>> And there was a change in
>>
>> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
>>
>> Did I forget anything? Well, the Windoze thing... crazy.
>
> We can't cover every card in detail, there are just too many.  What I
> wanted to have in the quick start was an easy way for the user to find
> out which card they had, and more importantly, which driver supported
> it.  Unfortunately, the drivers do not have a standard method of being
> queried for which PCI IDs they support, or a script could set this all
> up for the user.

Yes, I see that. Forget that I wrote that. Just wanted to be nice.

> Usually when I have an idea like that, five years go by, then someone
> else thinks of it and is hailed as a genius.

Time always flies by... you three are my heroes, rest assured.

Thanks once more,

Anthony

--

mobile +250 78 8778 161
B.P.155

"Artificial intelligence will never match natural stupidity"