wireless networking - halfway solved

Anthony Simm simm.anthony at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 24 19:34:42 UTC 2014

Works!

On 10/24/2014 09:00 PM, Warren Block wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2014, Anthony Simm wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> based on a suggestion from Warren, I added
>>
>> legal.intel_ipw.license_ack=1

>> /boot/loader.conf
>>
>> and changed the entries in
>>
>> /etc/rc.conf to:
>>
>>  wlans_ipw0="wlan0"
>>  ifconfig_wlan0="WPA SYNCDHCP"
>>
>> then I rebooted and sure enough, the wireless light is on! Yeeeeeahhh!
>>
>> But
>>
>> $ ping mail.google.com
>>
>> times out, and gives
>>
>> $ ping: cannot resolve mail.google.com: Host name lookup failure
>>
>> (I tried ping mail.ru as well, same result)
>>
>> So, there is another issue; probably has to do with the likely fact
>> that the firmware is outdated and the card does not support WPA while
>> my brand new wireless router is using that protocol.
>
> Right.  An entry in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf is still needed to connect
> to that particular network.

I was going to try and edit that file and figure what change that might
be. Logged in as user and pinged gmail again - and lo and behold -  it
works! No idea what happened an hour ago, it rained, maybe poor connection.

It's good that the router uses WPA, but bad
> because the card does not (normally) support it.  At least the one that
> came with my 2004-era T42 did not.
>
>> There is a way to silently update the firmware of the wireless card
>> under Windows according to Warren and I will try to do that, and
>> report back afterwards.
>
> I searched for firmware updates and found none.  Then I updated the
> Windows driver and surprise, the card now supported WPA.  I still have
> that T42, although it does not get used.  It worked the last time I
> tried FreeBSD on it, and I can drag it out if testing is needed.

Would you really do that? But for the time being let me try this Windoze
update. Or do you think that it is in fact updated? This machine came
with Debian and has reportedly not been used a lot but sure there was
Windows on it at some time. No such sticker though.

So for the Handbook, what's missing at least for this card, are the
commands to identify it, the legal acknowledgement in

/boot/loader.conf,

the addition of

wlans_ipw0="wlan0"

and

ifconfig_wlan0="WPA SYNCDHCP"

in  /etc/rc.conf

And there was a change in

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Did I forget anything? Well, the Windoze thing... crazy.

Thanks guys!!

Regards,

Anthony

--

mobile +250 78 8778 161
B.P.155

"Artificial intelligence will never match natural stupidity"