Noob ifconfig question :-/ ....

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Fri Oct 24 16:25:50 UTC 2014

.... I have been tussling w/ getting my newly acquired WatchGuard
FireBox Edge firewall appliance setup. It requires a computer on the LAN
on its own IP block (192.168.111.0/8), w/ netmask 255.255.255.0. I
was/am trying to use ifconfig to set this box up on that block
(temporarily !!!) to get that thing setup & configured. When I
(successfully) reset my IP address to 192.168.111.27, I am able to
access the device w/ my browser. However, it asked for a user name &
passwd, which I don't have & which the manual which came w/ it doesn't
specify :-/ .... Any clues what those might be :-) .... Slightly OT, I
realize, however I will probably later try to change it over to *BSD, as
per an earlier post, in case that helps .... TIA for any & all clues ....

Separately, when I reset the IP address of this box back to normal
(192.168.0.27), I could no longer access the web, or my DSL modem (on a
different subnet behind a router (to be replaced by the afore-mentioned
firewall)) w/o rebooting. When I did an 'ifconfig re0', I got almost the
same output as before my twiddling, except that the 'inet' & inet6'
lines were switched (inet before inet6 before twiddling, inet after
inet6 after twiddling) .... Could that be the cause of my inability to
access the modem & web ? TIA here also :-/ ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III