Network Interface Keeps Dying FreeBSD9.1

Martin G. McCormick martin at server1.shellworld.net
Fri Oct 24 15:04:58 UTC 2014

Mark Felder writes:
> on HPs around FreeBSD 9.1. The fix should be available in a newer
> FreeBSD release. Can you try one and report back?
	Yes! Things are much better. I installed 9.3 late
Thursday afternoon and the system appeared to have no network
connectivity. It then refused to boot properly which turned out
to be another issue which I probably caused by pulling the
installation thumb drive before it had dismounted (unrelated to
the problem at hand.)
	After correcting the file system and rebooting, the
whole world came to life. The sysinstall program had selected
bge1 instead of bge0 and it got a DHCP lease when I connected to
bge1. I was able to do normal activity which included several
ssh sessions plus a SCP of a tar file with no problem at all.
	I then also tried a hard-coded address on bge0 and that
worked fine after plugging in to that jack.
	Many thanks. I think we are winning finally.

Martin