wireless networking

Anthony Simm simm.anthony at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 24 08:58:33 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have installed FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE on an IBM T42 box and have problems
to connect it's wireless card to the router / to the internet.

I have read this
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-wireless.html

and followed the chapter

31.3.2. Quick Start

and have done this

> ifconfig | grep -A4 -i wireless

which gives

media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
status: no carrier
plip0: flags=8810<POINTTOPOINT, SIMPLEX, MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
lo0: flags=8049<UP, LOOPBACK, RUNNING, MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384

I added an entry with the correct details to /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

> network={
> 	ssid="myssid"
> 	psk="mypsk"
> }

and added these details to /etc/rc.conf

> wlans_ath0="wlan0"
> ifconfig_wlan0="WPA SYNCDHCP"

Reboot, no wireless connection.

Then I followed the next chapter,

31.3.3. Basic Setup
31.3.3.1. Kernel Configuration

and added the following lines to /boot/loader.conf

> if_ath_load="YES"
> if_wi_load="YES"

(/boot/loader.conf was previously empty but did exist)

Reboot, no connection.

ifconfig gives entries for em0, ipw0, plip0, and lo0

The one for ipw0 reads:

ipw0: flags=8802<POINTTOPOINT, SIMPLEX, MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 2290
ether 00:0c:f1:5e:4c:58
nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
status: no carrier

(Do you need the output for em0, ipw0, and plip0 as well?)

I have read everything on that page all the way down to

> 31.3.8. Troubleshooting

but am scratching my head and can't decide what else to do.

I will check the forums but I thought I should mention that I did not
find an answer in the handbook to this probably frequently occurring
setup problem.

Thank you very much,

Anthony

--

mobile +250 78 8778 161
B.P.155

"Artificial intelligence will never match natural stupidity"