Keep using syscons -- how?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Wed Oct 22 08:11:00 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-10-22 at 09:36 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-10-22 at 07:27 +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 04:25:12 -0500 (CDT), Lars Eighner wrote:
> > > The command line is already useless in every Linux distribution I can find.
>
> I'm just lurking, since I'm a Linux user interested in alternatives to
> Linux. The command line is important for every Linux distro, just a few
> distros have a tendency to do some steps into the wrong direction [1],
> but if you want to do the PC what you want it to do, you can and should
> use the command line what ever Linux distro you're using.
>
> > Some Linux distributions (usually "the more professional
> > ones") allow easy access to the command line within X
>
> AFAIK Ctrl + Alt + Fx does work with even the oddest DE, at least with
> all sane WMs on Linux, but I can't see something bad when using a sane
> GUI terminal emulation such as roxterm. Btw. I prefer Arch Linux, it has
> got similarities to FreeBSD.
>
> Perhaps "KISS principle" could replace "the more professional ones".
>
> Regards,
> Ralf
>
> [1] There's just one exception that is really annoying, but it's
> possible to get used to it, systemd. Sure, crap as dconf is idiotic, but
> I suspect FreeBSD suffers from such odd designs too.

PS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_Linux
That's FreeBS like:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_Linux#Arch_Build_System_.28ABS.29
JFTR, Arch is a major distro, a rolling release and likely much more
stable than Debian, if needed there still is:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/downgrade/
However, a vanilla Arch install comes without a DE or WM, even without
X, so Arch users _need_ to use the command line, this is just one point
of the KISS principle.