Keep using syscons -- how?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Oct 22 05:27:54 UTC 2014

On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 04:25:12 -0500 (CDT), Lars Eighner wrote:
> What do I have to do or not do to keep being able to use syscons in VGA
> mode? Is there any way to keep the ability to switch between xwindows and
> syscons (in VGA i.e. text mode)?

Allow me a more general question. I'm not asking as
a "means of insult", but because I'm really interested
in the answer:

Why not use terminal emulators (xterm, rxvt, konsole,
gnome-terminal etc.) inside an X session?

I have been using "real" text mode (as well as switching
between a running X session and virtual terminals) for
a very long time, and I was totally comfortable with
the 80x25 screen. Today I find myself using terminal
emulators in X, scattered across several virtual desktops,
and only seeing the text mode console when the system
is booting. I usually don't leave X anymore. The only
exception is when I have to do system recovery operations
inside a limited environment (single-user mode, or also
multi-user mode with specific mount options and no X
running)...

What are reasons (here: your reasons) for switching to
text mode from an X session and using the "real" text
mode console?

> The command line is already useless in every Linux distribution I can find.

Some Linux distributions (usually "the more professional
ones") allow easy access to the command line within X,
as described above, but in case X isn't running, the
text mode consoles are still accessible, even though
their "enhanced" screen modes (bigger than 80x25) can
cause trouble on some displays which don't display the
screen content properly, or don't display it at all.
The tiny size of the default fonts may also be a problem
on small screens. Yes, I know, _everyone_ has a supermega
and ulta HD wide 23" plasma screen these days. :-)

> Is that the way BSDs are all going?

I hope not!

--
Polytropon