minder

Walter fbsd at saveouraquifer.org
Thu Oct 16 20:27:06 UTC 2014

On 10/16/14, 2:20 PM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Walter <fbsd at saveouraquifer.org> writes:
>
> That's essentially a library for keeping track of peers, but the only
> application example seems to be a trivial test client. It might be
> able to locate peers as well, but I haven't run across that
> functionality so it may not exist. It may be a useful tool in building
> a useful system, but it's a fairly small piece.
I guess I'll roll my own, then - but that simple task shouldn't be
too hard.

> Try not to develop homegrown encryption or encrypted protocols. Unlike
other kinds of programming, you can't > establish its correctness by
testing. Mac, Linux, and BSD are all distinct. But they're all
POSIX-compliant, which is > probably good enough for using the same code
for the core functionality, and there are toolkits that can make a > lot
of GUI work reusable. Windows is more difficult as far as compatibility,
but not impossible. Still, you're talking > about a very big project.
FreePascal works on all those platforms, which is what I'd use.   Looking at
BitMessage I see it's really not that far along, at least what I would
have hoped.
And getting all those other personal-but-not-for-me-messages to throw away
seems wasteful.  I guess I'll take baby steps.

I agree on the homegrown encryption advice, but even established packages
have had their problems.

Thanks for your feedback.

Walter