exiting Xorg locks up 9.2-STABLE system

William Bulley web at umich.edu
Thu Oct 16 16:12:35 UTC 2014

According to Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> on Thu, 10/16/14 at 11:22:

> Me too (since 1.1.5.1), but I expect to solve my own problems with my
> kernel configuration.

Then you must be at least 35 years old!   ;^)

I hear you, but this wasn't a kernel issue at the outset.

It was a failure of x11/Xorg to cleanly exit to the ASCII console
(vty) as has been the case going back to at least 6.x IIRC.   :-)

Something had changed -- I knew about the WITH_NEW_XORG flag, and
the GENERIC kernel comes with sc(4) as it has for some time now.
My kernel also contained the sc(4) device as it was based on the
(watered down) GENERIC kernel config file (MYKERNEL).

Warren's suggestion to use vt(4) resulted in the hang behaviour that
I alluded to earlier -- no output at the "Booting ..." message.  So
I was forced to fall back to the original kernel which is where
things stand now until I can get back in front of this system to
try the suggestion of adding the vt(4) device to the 9.3-STABLE
GENERIC kernel config file and trying again.  Wish me luck!  :-)

BTW, I did solve my own problems when adding the vt(4) device to
my kernel config file -- I listed the additions and deletions in
an earlier reply.  Until I try again with the above GENERIC mod,
I will have to assume it was my problem with my kernel config...

Regards,

web...

--

 /"\   ASCII RIBBON          / William Bulley
 \ /   CAMPAIGN AGAINST     /
  X    HTML E-MAIL AND     / E-MAIL: web at umich.edu
 / \   LISTSERV POSTINGS  /

72 characters width template ----------------------------------------->|