exiting Xorg locks up 9.2-STABLE system

William Bulley web at umich.edu
Wed Oct 15 16:47:50 UTC 2014

According to Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> on Wed, 10/15/14 at 11:08:

> If you are using a custom kernel, yes.  GENERIC now contains both sc and vt,
> so vt must be selected by adding kern.vty=vt to /boot/loader.conf.

Steps necessary to cleanly build my custom kernel:

  add "device vt"
  comment out "options" for vt(4) found in the man page
  comment out "device sc" gave errors during "make depend"
  comment out "option VESA" (associated with "device vga"?) gave compile error

New kernel was installed.  System was rebooted.  Hung at:

   Booting system...
   \

The "spinner" did not spin!   :-(

I was forced to power cycle and boot with option "2":

   boot kernel.old

Yes, I have these lines in my /boot/loader.conf file:

   hw.vga.textmode=1
   kern.vty=vt

Back to square one?  What do I need to do to use vt(4) so that
I can cleanly exit from my daily Xorg sessions?  Thanks again.

Regards,

web...

--

 /"\   ASCII RIBBON          / William Bulley
 \ /   CAMPAIGN AGAINST     /
  X    HTML E-MAIL AND     / E-MAIL: web at umich.edu
 / \   LISTSERV POSTINGS  /

72 characters width template ----------------------------------------->|