exiting Xorg locks up 9.2-STABLE system

William Bulley web at umich.edu
Wed Oct 15 11:50:07 UTC 2014

I recently upgraded to 9.2-STABLE and rebuilt _ALL_ my ports from scratch.

One was x11/xorg (xorg-7.7_1) and this is on a Dell Optiplex 960 with an
ATI Technologies RV730XT [Radeon HD 4670] video card installed.  When I
start an Xorg session, it comes up and runs fine, but when I exit Xorg
the system locks up.  No mouse response.  No keyboard response. No vty
is available (Alt-F2, etc.)

I run x11-toolkits/open-motif (open-motif-2.3.4_1) and the last line in
my .xinitrc file is as follows:

   /usr/local/bin/mwm 2>&1 /dev/null

When I exit mwm (f.quit_mwm), the Xorg session should die as well.
I have been using open-motif (this very version) for _years_ in this
same fashion so I don't think this behaviour is due to open-motif.

A friend who runs FreeBSD on his laptop (IBM Thinkpad T500) has built
the same x11/xorg (xorg-7.7_1) from source and is experiencing the
exact same behaviour.  He runs fvwm not open-motif, and, of course,
his hardware is completely different from my Dell desktop.

This makes me suspect Xorg.  Can anyone give me a clue as to where to
look, or what to look for, that may be causing this problem?  Thanks!

Regards,

web...

--

 /"\   ASCII RIBBON          / William Bulley
 \ /   CAMPAIGN AGAINST     /
  X    HTML E-MAIL AND     / E-MAIL: web at umich.edu
 / \   LISTSERV POSTINGS  /

72 characters width template ----------------------------------------->|