syslog output ....

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Sun Oct 12 17:05:00 UTC 2014

On 12/10/2014 16:13, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

> .... I did a 'pkg upgrade a few days ago (Oct 8). Since then I have been
> seeing messages like the following in my /var/log/messages file:
>

> Oct 12 09:08:13 kabini1 kernel: TCP: [192.168.0.9]:43713 to
> [192.168.0.27]:1839 tcpflags 0x2<SYN>; tcp_input: Connection attempt to
> closed port
[Lots snipped]

> I did an nmap of this machine this A.M., right about 9:08, from
> 192.168.0.9, so I think that's what prompted the output. I have done
> that nmap in the past, w/ no such output in my messages file. What
> changed so that I am now seeing it ? How can I trim it down such that it
> ignores other boxen on my LAN ? Before the nmap, I had:

Didn't we recently discuss turning on net.inet.tcp.log_in_vain? That's
the sort of output you get, and nmap will trigger it when hitting unopen
ports. The log_in_vain sysctls are all or nothing, AFAIK you can't tell
them to ignore some hosts/networks. Either don't nmap scan the machine
or turn off the logging during the scan if you don't want to see it.

> Oct  9 03:03:05 kabini1 kernel: TCP: [127.0.0.1]:33651 to
> [127.0.0.1]:113 tcpflags 0x2<SYN>; tcp_input: Connection attempt to
> closed port
[More snipped]

That's the sort of thing I see on my machine. Port 113 is the ident (aka
auth) service. As the addresses are all 127.0.0.1 your machine is asking
itself to identify who is responsible for network connections to itself!
If you can't work out what is causing it (I never could, but didn't try
very hard) you can shut it up by actually running an auth service.
Depending on what you feel like, either enable inetd and uncomment one
of the built in auth entries in /etc/inetd.conf, or install one of
net/hidentd (also needs inetd), net/widentd, security/fakeident,
security/oidentd or security/pidentd. That way port 113 will be
listening and responding.