sh man page ....

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Fri Oct 10 15:35:36 UTC 2014

On 10/10/14 10:30, Michael Sierchio wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 8:30 AM, William A. Mahaffey III <wam at hiwaay.net> wrote:
>
>> .....I had a bunch of shell scripts written to use Linux
>> sh, which was in fact bash, which means it had a superset of the arithmetic
>> operators that traditional sh had. When I use these scripts under sh under
>> FBSD 9.3, they largely work, though there are some minor differences (empty
>> strings evaluate to zero (0) under bash, error under sh). The man page for
>> sh doesn't reflect some of these compatibilities/incompatibilities,
> Nor should it. The Bourne Shell is the Bourne Shell, is adequately
> documented by the man page, and warnings about incompatibility are the
> responsibility of those who foist off bash as sh.
>
> You're blaming your own bad habit on others. :-)
>
> - M

Well !!!! The sh man page is mute on the fact that an empty string is an
error in arithmetic or logical evaluations, which is an omission
irrespective of what bash does :-). I presume that converting Linux
users to FBSD users is an agenda item here (maybe my error), thus
suitably complete man pages should be an important goal, I would think.
I didn't think converting from Linux to FBSD was/is a bad habit ;-) ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III