Next Steps to Debug ZFS Hang?

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Thu Oct 9 03:54:29 UTC 2014

--As of October 7, 2014 6:48:51 PM -0700, Nick Sivo is alleged to have said:

> I've been having trouble with ZFS on my server. For the most part it
> works splendidly, but occasionally I'll experience permanent hangs.
>

> For example, right now on one of my ZFS filesystems (the others are
> fine), I can read, write, and stat files, but if I run ls in any
> directory, ls and the terminal will hang. CTRL-C, and kill -9 can't kill
> it:

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Not sure if this will be helpful, but at least it shouldn't hurt:  When was
the last time you ran a scrub?  Also, how much RAM do you have and where is
your swap?  (The only times I've had permanent hangs from ZFS was when I
ran out of RAM and was trying to swap to ZFS...)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.