oddball syslog entries ....

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 18:52:20 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 08 Oct 2014 08:34:04 William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

> [root at kabini1, /etc, 8:21:10am] 699 % pkg install -y wireshark
> tcpdump

<snip>

> New packages to be INSTALLED:
>          wireshark: 1.12.1 [FreeBSD]
>          linux-f10-xorg-libs: 7.4_1 [FreeBSD]

<snip>

> Installed packages to be REMOVED:
>          linux_base-c6-6.5_1

One of the dangers of using the "-y" option. There's not much point
using this option when running interactively because it denies you the
option of bailing out if it wants to do unexpected things.

Without the "-y" option if extra packages need to be installed they
will be listed and you will be asked to confirm - it's an all or
nothing question so you only have to type "y" or "n" once no matter
how many packages are involved.

But I'm puzzled why it wanted to install the linux packages anyway
neither wireshark nor tcpdump depend on them. Here's the output from a
PC which didn't have any linux packages on it

root at fbsd10:~ # pkg install -n wireshark tcpdump
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
Updating FreeBSD_new_xorg repository catalogue...
FreeBSD_new_xorg repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
The following 9 packages will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
	wireshark: 1.12.1 [FreeBSD]
	gtk3: 3.8.8_1 [FreeBSD]
	colord: 1.0.1_3 [FreeBSD]
	at-spi2-atk: 2.8.0_1 [FreeBSD]
	at-spi2-core: 2.8.0_1 [FreeBSD]
	GeoIP: 1.6.2_1 [FreeBSD]
	libsmi: 0.4.8_1 [FreeBSD]
	adns: 1.4_2 [FreeBSD]
	tcpdump: 4.5.1 [FreeBSD]

The process will require 145 MB more space.
22 MB to be downloaded.

BTW, as others have said tcpdump is part of the base system and you
didn't need to install the port which offers additional bleeding-edge
features. You can safely delete the tcpdump package.

--
Mike Clarke