User and vendor packages (for pkg_* tools)

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Oct 1 15:25:28 UTC 2014

On 10/01/14 13:33, Mark Felder wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 07:15, Boris Samorodov wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > A user has License to use an App and uses pkgng. The vendor has
>> > only packages for pkg_* tools.
>> >
>> > What the user should do? Is there a tool to convert old packages to
>> > new format?
>> >
> There is no such tool. You would have to manually convert it to the new
> package format by making a port for it. I think a skeleton port that
> asked the user a few questions could do this automatically. I will
> consider taking a stab at this, but I will have to locate an example to
> test with.

Actually there kind-of is such a tool.  pkg-convert(8)

It's not ideal, in that you have to install the old-style package
*before* converting it.  Making pkg-convert able to read either old- or
new- style package tarballs and output to the alternate format tarball
would be an interesting project.

Nagging the vendor to produce new style packages likely to be more
productive in the long run.

	Cheers,

	Matthew