Cross Compile From i386 to amd64

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 31 18:55:13 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 02:27:33AM +0800, XuZhifeng wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a slow i386 machine installed FreeBSD8.2 and a faster amd64 machine
> installed FreeBSD9.2. And I want to and the vesa support in the i386
> machine,but  much time is spent on compiling the kernel . So I wonder is
> there a way to cross-compile?

In general it should be possible. The FreeBSD wiki has a page about it:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/A_Brief_Guide_To_Cross_Compiling_FreeBSD

But that is about compiling the _base_ system. The vesa X11 driver is a port,
not a part of base. So you'd have to check out the 8.2 source code, set up the
build environment (including building a 8.2 i386 toolchain!) before you can
actually start building the port.

At a guess, this would cost _you_ much more time than just starting the build
on the slow machine at the end of the day and let it run overnight.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)