rc.d script suppression of messages in sshguard

Sergei G sergeig.public at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 09:17:55 UTC 2014

I had sshguard configured through rc.conf which effectively puts it into
daemon mode. I then reconfigured sshguard and introduced invalid
configuration option that made it fail to start. Unfortunately
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/sshguard is configured to start daemon with -f
option, which suppresses any STDOUT messages by sending those to /dev/null.

I learned about all of this only after I have removed -f option in
sshguard script itself. Suddenly, I was able to read error message from
sshguard with statement "Terminating". It now could explain why my
service was not listed with ps -x | grep sshguard.

Is this issue something that can be requested to be fixed? How do I do
that if you think it is worth it.

I have noticed the side effect of my change. I had to press Enter to get
my prompt back after I issued "service sshguard start".