upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2 failed (mostly)

jfkldsafjkl kjltsafda jkltrfjskalfds at outlook.com
Sat Mar 15 06:40:35 UTC 2014

Hi, I tried to upgrade from 9.1-RELEASE-p10 to 9.2-RELEASE on my Dell Latitude laptop.  I followed the procedure in the guide:

freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install
reboot
freebsd-update upgrade -r 9.2-RELEASE
freebsd-update install
reboot
freebsd-update install
reboot

Now my kernel appears to have upgraded, because it contains the string 9.2-RELEASE:

# strings /boot/kernel/kernel | grep RELEASE |grep 9
@(#)FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p3 #0: Sat Jan 11 03:25:02 UTC 2014
FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p3 #0: Sat Jan 11 03:25:02 UTC 2014
9.2-RELEASE-p3

However uname still shows 9.1:

# uname -a
FreeBSD localhost.localdomain 9.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE #0 r243825: Tue Dec  4 09:23:10 UTC 2012     root at farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

and other files such as /etc/hosts are NOT upgraded, because I added a comment in that file during the merging, but eventually the file does not contain that comment.

I can look at the temporary files under /var/db/freebsd-update/, the /var/db/freebsd-update/install.*/INDEX-* contains the index to the upgraded files together with their sha256 values, while the actually files are gzipped under /var/db/freebsd-update/files/ , yet all the files on the system still mated the old version.

I even modified /etc/freebsd-update.conf to

# Is FreeBSD Update allowed to create new files?
AllowAdd yes

# Is FreeBSD Update allowed to delete files?
AllowDelete yes

but it did not help.

Also uname says it's 9.1-RELEASE #0 now. And freebsd-update fetch install can not update that version any more.

I repeated upgrade procedure multiple times, now I get many lines of additional error when running freebsd-update upgrade -r 9.2-RELEASE:

/usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory

one google search result suggested extract /usr/bin/install from the 9.1 official iso file and replace the one on the system.  That indeed removed that error.  However, I still ended up with 9.1.  And when repeating the upgrade procedure I always get this "cannot open files/.gz" error.

What else can I try to complete this upgrade? Thanks for your help.