VPN choices?

Mario Lobo lobo at bsd.com.br
Thu Mar 13 22:35:02 UTC 2014

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 20:53:50 -0000
Dave B <g8kbvdave at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > > On Mar 13, 2014, at 10:08, Dave B <g8kbvdave at googlemail.com>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi All.
> > >
> > > A question for the collective.   I'm asking here, as I trust the
> > > opinions of the assembled masses, over some other (perhaps) more
> > > appropriated lists.
> > >
> > > Anyway...
> > >
> > > I have a need for a simple VPN, to tunnel TCP and UDP trafic.
> > > It's the UDP requiement that's stumping me at present.
> > >

> > I found this useful in setting up a VPN:
> >
> > https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?&t=26755
>
> Thanks Peter, I keep forgetting the web forums, as I hate them with a
> vengance!  (Another story, another time.)
>
> Intetesting thread though, not sure how relevant it is to a Windows
> client, as all that was talking about iOS and other wierdness.    My
> DSL router supports L2TP VPN's, but Windows will not complete the
> connection process.  They see each other just fine, but looking at
> the router's log's, there is a version mismatch somewhere, so they
> can't agree on a protocol etc.   (That idea was suggested by the
> office IT types!)
>
> Would the generic kernel in 9.2 include the "patches" called out in
> "Post #82". (dead link btw.)
>

> But, I wonder...  If I go that route, rather than recompiling the
> kernel to support ipsec etc, if  "/boot/loader.conf"  can be used, in
> the same way I've enabled PPS support for the NTPD process, in 9.2
>
> "pps_load=yes"
>
> At least I can do system updates without needing to rebuild the
> kernel each time.
>
> (Looking in loader defaults, I can't see anything related to what
> could be needed.  Oh well...)
>
> More reading to do, but I'm "read out" just now.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Dave B.

Dave;

Have you heard of mpd5? I've been using both as a client and server for
quite a while (using PPTP) and never had any problems.

http://mpd.sourceforge.net/

--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,
because that would also stop you from doing clever things."