Logitech unifying receivers and keyboard ordering (ukbd0/1)

Christopher J. Ruwe cjr at cruwe.de
Tue Jan 7 16:27:03 UTC 2014

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 08:30:16 +0000
Arthur Chance <freebsd at qeng-ho.org> wrote:

> On 06/01/2014 19:31, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 19:20:49 +0100, Christopher J. Ruwe wrote:
> >> I am sorry, I know that my question has been addressed quite
> >> recently, but I cannot find the post, I do not know why.
> >>
> >> I have a Logitech mouse with unifying Bluetooth receiver and a
> >> keyboard attached by USB "wire". When I boot with both devices
> >> attached, the non-existent keyboard unifying Bluetooth attached
> >> keyboard becomes ukbd0 and the "wired" ukbd1. Accordingly, my real
> >> keyboard does not work on either syscons as well as X11 and I
> >> cannot type on the non-existent.
> >>
> >> What I would like to have the "wired2 and "real" keyboard to
> >> attach to ukbd0 and if that must be the non-existent to ukbd1.
> >> What I do now is to unplug the Bluetooth dongle when booting to
> >> ensure that ordering. I usually forget that on first boot, though,
> >> ensuring my first rush of wild swearing each morning.
> >
> > Depending on your kernel konfiguration, there may be two options:
> >
> > First, the kbdmux component should enable all detected keyboards
> > to work "in parallel", so switching from one to another is not
> > needed, especially if one of them doesn't even exist. A typical
> > situation is when an AT keyboard (PS/2 keyboard connector) and
> > a USB keyboard (USB connector) are present.
> >
> > Then, there's the kbdcontrol program that allows switching key-
> > boards. This program can be called by devd to perform the required
> > action when the USB keyboard is present (or not present). As I
> > don't own any BT hardware, I can't be more specific on how this
> > kind of keyboard will be represented to the OS, sorry.
> >
> > See "man kbdmux" and "man kbdcontrol" for details.
> >

> Also take a look at /etc/rc.d/syscons. I see that it responds to an
> rc.conf variable "keyboard".

Thanks to both Polytropon and Arthur for your kind help.

Polytropon's tip to have a look at my kernel config provided the
solution. I had 'device kbdmux' in my KERNCONF _and_ tried to load
kbdmux as a module from loader.conf. This resulted in /dev/kbdmux
malfunctioning, i.e., being absent.

Removing kbdmux from loader.conf allows me to use all keyboards
without further configuration.

Thanks again, cheers,
--
Christopher
TZ:         GMT + 1h

FreeBSD 9.2-STABLE #1 r256184: Thu Oct 10 19:12:54 CEST 2013
cjr at dijkstra.cruwe.de:/usr/obj/usr/home/cjr/media/src/freebsd/base/stable/9/sys/GEN_WDTRACE
Punctuation matters:
"Lets eat Grandma." or "Lets eat, Grandma." - Punctuation saves lives.
"A panda eats shoots and leaves." or "A panda eats, shoots, and
leaves." - Punctuation teaches proper biology.

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not
necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to
land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead." (RFC 1925)