Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Jan 7 07:56:11 UTC 2014

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 13:05:00 +0530, eras mus wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I tried editing /etc/rc.conf file in between server hanged . Now the
> rc.conf is incomplete. There is a line with incomplete quotes.
> So the machine in starting in single user mode  . No editor is working .
> when /usr is mounter ee editor is there. But The file could not be edited
> and saved since it is read only.
>
> How to overcome this read only mode and edit the file.

This indicates a severe error, as you have correctly observed.
Step 1 is to make / writeable:

	# mount -u /

which is a "shortcut" for

	# mount -u -o rw /

You will also need to mount partitions like /usr to make your
normal editor working (for example /usr/bin/ee):

	# mount /usr

or even

	# mount -a

In case this step is not _possible_, you can still use an editor
present on / (typically /rescue/vi):

	# /rescue/vi /etc/rc.conf

Apply the quotes as required and :wq (write file and quit the
editor). Then you should be able to let the system reboot normally.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany