Does FreeBSD will run on a old MacBook laptop?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Feb 22 21:42:06 UTC 2014

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 14:48:12 -0500, Jean-Philippe Provost wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I was wondering if it was possible to recycle my 2008-late MacBook to
> install FreeBSD on it?

FreeBSD should run on the Intel version. Make sure you can
enable booting from CD or from USB and try the i386 version
of FreeBSD (or even amd64 if the CPU is 64 bit capable).
There are some limitations and tasks you need to check
in order to get everything running. A short web search
should reveal those.

> Since I'm new to UNIX (never used it), [...]

If you've been using Mac OS X - well, that was UNIX. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany