Dropbox on FreeBSD

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sat Feb 15 19:24:15 UTC 2014

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 12:01:01 -0600, Matthew Pherigo stated:

> As I understand it, Dropbox relies on the inotify functionality in the
> Linux kernel, and there is no equivalent function in the FreeBSD kernel
> (which is why the linux compatibility layer doesn't have an inotify
> function either). There are some unofficial solutions to this problem,
> but as far as I can see, btsync is a great solution.

I do remember seeing something regarding the "inotify" function a year or
so ago. However, I thought that someone said there would be an update to
FreeBSD and that ability would be added. I updated to FreeBSD 10 hoping
that it would be able to run Dropbox without investing in a Rube Goldberg
setup. Considering that "DropBox" has been around for quite a while now, I
would have hoped that FreeBSD would have caught up with the technology.

--
Jerry