How to manually compile on FreeBSD 10.x

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Dec 3 15:16:31 UTC 2014

On Wed, 3 Dec 2014, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> What do I need to install on FreeBSD 10 to enable me compile stuff by hand?
>
> [root at admin ~/Exim/exim-4.85_RC2]# uname -a
> FreeBSD admin.cnet.co.za 10.0-RELEASE-p12 FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p12 #0: Tue
> Nov  4 04:15:03 UTC 2014
> root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> i386

I would suggest using the mail/exim port as a framework.  'make missing'
in that port will show all the dependencies that are not already
installed.

For simple ports, changing the version in the Makefile and recreating
the checksum file is enough.  Exim is likely not that simple.  There are
lots of FreeBSD patch files for the 4.84 version.  Some of those might
need to be changed or deleted.  Still, the port is a good reference for
what will be needed.