Possible? - FBSD 10 and Apache on CF Soekris?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Apr 17 15:27:48 UTC 2014

"edflecko ." <edflecko at gmail.com> writes:

> Lowell: Your options sound interesting, but since I'm fairly new to FBSD I
> don't know how to perform either option. Can you point me toward some
> documentation, tutorials, etc., that might help me understand how to do
> what you're suggesting?

I thought the Handbook was pretty good on these topics.

> Also, should I be concerned about the life expectancy of a CF?

Probably not; it's only likely to be a problem if you have
frequently-changing files. You might want to do the logging to somewhere
else, such as by forwarding them to another machine (the syntax for that
is in the manual for syslog.conf(5).

> Finally, I'm sure I'll be customizing the kernel for Soekris so will
> the poudriere
> method of keeping the system up to date work for a custom kernel?

No, poudriere is only for building ports. The Handbook section on
"Updating and Upgrading FreeBSD" describes your options for the base
system. You probably don't need a custom kernel anyway.