9.1 - 9.2 upgrade

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Sat Oct 5 04:50:44 UTC 2013

On 4 October 2013, at 20:03, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 19:42:15 -0700, Doug Hardie wrote:

>>> Have you verified in /etc/freebsd-update.conf that "src"
>>> is definitely part of what should be updated?
>>
>> System is not bootable - can't verify anything…
>
> Does the system (or better, its "enclosure", software-wise)
> allow booting a rescue system or an emergency media, such
> as a FreeBSD v9 live system?

Yes - but there is no one there who can successfully be told how to run it.  We have serious communications issues - they want to use back slashes and have no idea what a slash is.  Even if you tell them which key to use, they know better and use a back slash cause thats what Windoze uses.  The disk should be in the mail to me now.  I will be able to work with it when it arrives.

> The file /etc/freebsd-update.conf should contain the line
>
> 	Components src world kernel
>
> if you want to make sure the source is properly updated,
> along with the world and kernel (GENERIC).

As indicated before, I don't think all the source got updated.  The kernel showed 9.2 after recompilation.  However UPDATING was not updated.  Thats as much as I could check before.

>>> Attention: Into single-user mode.
>>
>> Not possible since the system is located over 100 miles away.
>> Everything has to be done via remote console.
>
> Does this mean "SSH only" or do you have a _real_ console
> transmission by which you can access the system _prior_ to
> the OS providing the SSH access? I'm mentioning this because
> the traditional approach requires (few) steps done in the
> single-user mode where no SSH connectivity is provided in
> the "normal" way…

I have a telnet box that has serial connections to the console ports.  That approach has been used without any issues since FreeBSD 2.5.  I do disable all ports during the process via an reduced rc.conf file.