9.1 - 9.2 upgrade

dweimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Thu Oct 3 18:58:52 UTC 2013

On 10/03/2013 1:48 pm, Doug Hardie wrote:
> On 3 October 2013, at 10:49, Doug Hardie <bc979 at lafn.org> wrote:
>
>> I just did an upgrade using freebsd-update to 9.2.  This system uses a
>> custom kernel so I am rebuilding everything after the update
>> completed.  However, I noticed that /usr/src/UPDATING has not been
>> updated.  The first entry still says:  9.1-RELEASE.  Is this correct?
>
> Well, it just got worse - The last reboot now fails:  I am using a
> remote console and it shows:
>
> --> Press a key on the console to reboot <--
> Rebooting...
> Consoles: internal video/keyboard  serial port
> BIOS drive A: is disk0
> BIOS drive C: is disk1
> BIOS 639kB/2087360kB available memory
>
> FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
> (doug at zool.lafn.org, Thu Oct  3 04:23:13 PDT 2013)
> Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
> Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to
> disk0:
>
> panic: free: guard1 fail @ 0x7f481ed0 from
> /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/../../common/module.c:1004
> --> Press a key on the console to reboot <--
>

> I can enter a string as it doesn't try to reboot again till the return
> is entered.  I've tried b disk1, but it still only tries disk0.  The
> system rebooted fine after the reboot after make kernel.  Mergemaster
> didn't seem to affect anything dealing with boot.  Don't know what
> make delete-old does but the descriptions lead me to not believe it
> could cause this.  This system is on the other side of LA from me so
> its a major trip timewise.  Any ideas how this can be recovered
> remotely?

I wonder if your source update didn't correctly download, mine starts
with:

Updating Information for FreeBSD current users
...[snip]...
Items affecting the ports and packages system can be found in
/usr/ports/UPDATING.  Please read that file before running portupgrade.

20130705:
         hastctl(8)'s `status' command output changed to terse one-liner
format.
         Scripts using this should switch to `list' command or be
rewritten.

20130618:
         Fix a bug that allowed a tracing process (e.g. gdb) to write
...[snip]...
20121218:
         With the addition of auditdistd(8), a new auditdistd user is now
         depended on during installworld.  "mergemaster -p" can be used
to add
         the user prior to installworld, as documented in the handbook.

20121205:
         9.1-RELEASE.

I haven't a clue how to fix your non booting system short of booting off
a FreeBSD disc, going to live CD, mounting the filesystems in a temp
location and doing a buildworld/kernel over again with correct source
tree.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer