Updating from 9.2 to 10.0-BETA3 Issues..

Howard Leadmon howard at leadmon.net
Thu Nov 14 04:05:29 UTC 2013

  I figured I would setup a test system and get my feet wet with trying to
move from 9.2 to the current 10 that I know will be an official version
soon.    So I took my 9.2 system, and as I use svn to update my sources, I
then replaced the /usr/src tree with the stable/10 branch, and went on to
build world, kernels, and through the recommended way to update to the new
branch.

 This all for the most part went very well, I got 10 built, I did the
install, went to single user, updated all files, and rebooted and happy day
here I am running 10.0.  The problem stated when I went back per the
documents, and ran the delete-old-libs, though the OS boots, now all kinda
stuff is broken!  I thought no problem, let's rebuild the ports tree again,
as I didn't realize some of the stuff ended up in the newer package formats,
so had stuff that was missed.

 Now trying to rebuild stuff like for example, mysql, I get errors like the
following:

===>   mysql56-client-5.6.14 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/cmake - found
===>  Configuring for mysql56-client-5.6.14
===>  Performing in-source build
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/databases/mysql56-client/work/mysql-5.6.14
Shared object "libmd.so.5" not found, required by "cmake"
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/databases/mysql56-client
[root at drazi /usr/ports/databases/mysql56-client]#

 So I went back again, make sure I fully did a buildworld, and installed it,
thinking maybe some libs got wacked, but alas that didn't fix anything.

 So the question is, if I am updating from 9.2 to 10.0 on a machine, how the
heck can I get all of the extra software to build, as I can't get really
much of anything to build at this point, be it mysql, or subversion, or any
of the add-on packages to make the server useful.   Glad I tried this on a
test machine..

 Any ideas/suggestions on how to get this straight?

---
Howard Leadmon