Obtaining source code

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Nov 12 18:39:23 UTC 2013

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 08:43:34 -0800 (PST), Sreeram BS wrote:
> Hi,
>     I have a very basic question about obtaining the source code.
>     I have learnt that one of the ways of obtaining the source code
> of the release, or of any standard program that gets shipped in
> standard release is by visiting the http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base
> and navigating further.
>      I am curious to know if there are any other methods of
> obtaining the source code.
>
> Please inform.

Additionally to using a SVN implementation (e. g. the "subversion"
from the ports collection) you can use the following methods:

1. Download the "src" distribution from one of the mirrors,
   for example ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/i386/9.2-RELEASE/src.txz

2. Download the installation media and extract the "src"
   distribution (from src.txz on the media).

3. Use freebsd-update to obtain the "src" distribution
   (see "man freebsd-update" for details), it will update
   your local /usr/src directory.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany