i have some problem

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Nov 7 09:36:35 UTC 2013

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 14:28:33 +0700, mongkonwit_phu at winner.co.th wrote:
> we use smartctl -a /dev/da0
> but can not check HDD so i would like to know about problem.
>
> Detail of smartctl 6.0
> [...]
> Device does not support SMART
>
> Error Counter logging not supported
> Device does not support Self Test logging

The answer is right here: The device you're querying does not
have S.M.A.R.T. support. The reason might be:

> we use raid card is pile 2008 setup raid 10

The disk device da0 is part of a RAID configuration, it does
not directly correspond to a disk. Only a "physical disk" can
be addressed with smartctl.

Your options:

1. Make the PIKE 2008 controller "hand the disk through", removing
   it from the RAID configuration.

2. Attach the disk to a direct connection.

You won't be able to run smartctl diagnostics otherwise as this
requires a "more direct access" than the RAID controller can offer.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany