OT: The future of USENET?

Walter Hurry walterhurry at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 22:40:06 UTC 2013

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 15:37:43 -0500, Joshua Isom wrote:

> On 3/27/2013 3:25 PM, Walter Hurry wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:12:06 -0400, grarpamp wrote:
>>
>>> Now there are very few, if any, free servers
>>
>> There are still free news servers available. My ISP bundles usenet,
>> nevertheless I prefer the free one as it's faster and more reliable.
>>

> The last ISP I knew had usenet complained about the bandwidth and
> storage required.  They had a dedicated satellite instead of using their
> backbone, and only cached a couple days.  All the porn and warez has the
> side affect of wiping out the cost benefit.

I have no idea whether my usenet provider includes porn or warez groups,
since I am interested in neither, so have not checked.

All I know is that I use their service because it is free, reliable and
fast.

Actually, I read this list via the usenet group
gmane.os.freebsd.questions, since I find that convenient.