"Leaking" disk space

Dan Thomas godders at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 16:55:41 UTC 2013

> a) Where do you have the wal files?

pg_xlog is symlinked to /usr/local/pglog/pg_xlog (ie, out of the
partition mounted as /usr/local/pgsql which is exhibiting this
behaviour).

b) Are you sure that unused/old wal files are erased?

As above, but yes they seem to be being deleted properly

c) Do you have any postgres log level activated (like the ones used
for long queries)?

Yes we have slow query logging enabled. pg_log is symlinked out of
that partition to /usr/local/pglog/pg_log as well.

d) Does your queries have GROUP BY on very big data sets? Those create
big temporal data files.

Yes we do a lot of that! However there are definitely no unlinked
files, and the problem doesn't go away when pg is shut down. However a
reboot does fix it.

e) With question a) and b), do you use streaming replication?

Yes we do. This problem is not present on the warm standby servers
that are being streamed to. We have failed over to the warm standbys
previously (we're currently doing this regularly to work around the
problem without too much downtime). Once we switch the warm standby to
primary, it begins leaking space.