Current Way To Update Sources & Rebuild World/Kernel?

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Sun Mar 17 22:07:41 UTC 2013

I've been away for a while.  In the past, the proper way to update a
system was to grab current sources via cvsup and then rebuild world and
kernel.  But now I see cvsup is no longer supported.  The handbook talks
about freebsd-update.  I do not want binary upgrades but is this the
tool to replace cvsup to update sources?  How do I use it to replace the
old way that went something like this:

cvsup sources
make buildworld
make buildkernel
make installkernel
mergemaster
make installworld

(I'm not sure I have that in the exact proper order but it was something
like that).

So is freebsd-update what I need?  Is there a page that describes the
steps to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Drew

--