Cannot make open-vm-tools on 9.1

Olivier Nicole Olivier.Nicole at cs.ait.ac.th
Fri Jun 14 07:35:15 UTC 2013

Hi,

> I have a strange thin happening to me. I upgraded two machines from
> 8.3 to 9.1:
>
> FreeBSD sysl2.cs.ait.ac.th 9.1-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p3 #3: Fri May 31
> 14:59:20 ICT 2013     root at fbsd63:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> I did both upgrade in parallel.
>
> On the first machine, I managed to intall open-vm-tools-nox11:
>
> open-vm-tools-nox11-425873_3,1 Open VMware tools for FreeBSD VMware guests
>
> but when I try to install it on the second machine, I have a compile
> error (see below).
>
> Now I try to rebuild open-vm-tools on the first machine and I get the
> same compile error.

Replying to myself, I know.

After spending 3 days trying to work out the problem (and installing a
couple of other systems without problems), I decided to re-try an OS
installation.

I relaunched a cvsup to download the OS source and was surprised to
see that a number of files were checked-out (which should not happen
as I am using RELENG). So I suspect that my previous cvsup was
interruped some how.

After a make buildworld, kernel and installworld, everything is fine.

Now I am puzzeled that the OS managed to build from incomplete sources
and that the machine was sable.

Best regards,

Olivier