which reader/tablet/<whatever>

Peter Giessel pgiessel at mac.com
Mon Jun 10 05:46:12 UTC 2013

On 2013, Jun 9, at 19:13, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:

>    can I put
> 	freebsd on these tablet devices?

Personally, I don't see how another O.S. would work on the tablet devices.  They don't have any of the hardware other O.S.'s assume (such as a keyboard), and they have such proprietary hardware.  The hardware is so "touch centric", than running a non-touch O.S. does not seem wise, but I could be wrong.

>  if I bought, say, WAR AND PIECE
> 	or something out of copyright  { schopenhauer or marcus aurelius }
> 	that is in text, how do I get it to whatever tablet I have?
> 	right now we've got cable and I use the telco for my server.
> 	I know that works, but it is only good for my computer network.
>
> 	but say I wanted to keep things simple and buy some kind of kindle
> 	or nook.  how does amazon.com or bn.com get their new ebooks onto
> 	my reader?

All of the tablet type devices I'm aware of can access the internet through WiFi, which allows them to download the various books.  Many of them now also have a 4g type cellular antenna which can be used (with a subscription for network access through your favorite telecom) to download your favorite book.

I admit I'm most familiar with putting books on Apple tablet devices.  PDFs or ePubs can be e-mailed to the device, which opens well in their reading app.  The devices allow any text (including I suppose, plain text) on the screen to be "spoken" by the device.