ZFS - whole disk or partition or BSD slice?

james james at mansionfamily.plus.com
Mon Jan 28 00:00:34 UTC 2013

I have a 9.1 system with some SATA disks in RAIDZ, upgraded from 9.0.

The disks are all the same type, and I formatted them for FreeBSD and
put ZFS in a slice covering most of them.

I have seen suggestions for OpenIndiana etc that it is better to let ZFS
have the whole raw disk and that this can control the way it manages the
disk writeback mode.

Does this apply to FreeBSD and ZFS too?

Presumably the disks are currently FreeBSD-specific.  If I used raw
disks instead of slices, could I read them from a Solaris system too?