Best approach to jails + zfs

bsd bsd at todoo.biz
Fri Jan 25 18:14:47 UTC 2013

Le 25 janv. 2013 à 18:41, Steve O'Hara-Smith a écrit :

> On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 18:25:06 +0100
> bsd <bsd at todoo.biz> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wanted to have the point of view of the community on the best approach
>> in order to handle a quite large system with couple of jails (shouldn't
>> have more than 5 to 10). Whole system is based on zfs. I'll use this as a
>> backup server.
>
> 	You might like the sysutils/ezjail port - I use it for a very
> similar purpose and find it works well.
>
> --
> Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>

I am a bit skeptical on the third party script approach.

How stable has It been ?

I have been using warden with PC-BSD "TrueOS" for testing and I have encountered all sorts of problems (not stable when you have two pools of disks - can't delete jail…)… Quite interesting approach, but not mature enough to be launched in production.

I have finally gotten back to the FreeBSD root file system which I am using since couple of years now. It is not fancy, It does not provide script to ease your pain… But you understand what you are doing and It does what you tell him to do !!

ZFS has introduced a new challenge, but now that I have understood (more or less) how It is working, I found It really great!
Just trying to figure out the best way to use both Jail + ZFS.

But I might re-consider my position… Does ezjail comply with the latest FreeBSD 9 / 9.1 advances in jail / ZFS management improvement ?

Thanks for your feedback.

---------> Grégory Bernard Director <---------