Editors are broken after update

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Jan 20 09:38:45 UTC 2013

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 09:46:00 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Wow, if on Linux something is fishy, it usually has to do with Lennart
> Poettering, does he break FreeBSD too?
>
> $ su -
> Password:
> root at freebsd:/root # mcedit
>
> Error
> "/root" is not a regular file [ Dismiss ]

Seems to be a problem with the configuration. Temporarily
try the following:

# cd /root
# mv .mc .mc.orig
# mcedit

That should start the editor with the defaults.

Of course, /root is not a regular file, it's a directory. :-)

> root at freebsd:/root # gedit
>
> (gedit:17410): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

This editor requires X. If you're running the above su command
in an xterm, use "su -m root" and try again.

> root at freebsd:/root # vi
>
> vi does run

Because vi belongs to the OS, it's not a port.

> root at freebsd:/root # logout
> $ mcedit
> Failed to run:
> Your old settings were migrated from /home/rocketmouse/.mc
> to Freedesktop recommended dirs.
> To get more info, please visit
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html [1]

Seems that the new MC version has migrated its configuration
files somewhere else...

> $ gedit
>
> As user gedit does start, so perhaps I need gksu to run it as root.

That sounds wrong. What would be a reason for an installed editor
that is intended to be run on X _not_ to run from a user account
that currently runs X?

> [1] That's a nightmare :(, I don't want to read something that has to do
> with Lennart Poettering.

I'm not sure in how far this XDG stuff applies to MC / mcedit...
but the message seems to originate from MC which adopts to the
FreeDesktop recommendations...

> What the hell is broken now, regarding to the insane ideas of this man?

Implied statement (not _my_ words): "Every program should store
its configuration data according to the XDG / FreeDesktop
specification." Seems that the MC agreed.

> OT:
> http://linux-bsd-sharing.blogspot.de/2008/08/howto-musicpd-music-player-daemon-on.html
> is not a valid howto for my upgraded FreeBSD ports :(.

>From a short look at it, the content looks valid. But I haven't
tried it in order to confirm that it's working.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany