FB 9.1 boot loader problem in VirtualBox

jb jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 11:20:23 UTC 2013

jb <jb.1234abcd <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> host=CentOS
> guest=FreeBSD in VirtualBox
>
> FB 9.1 installation seemed to be normal (there was a one page text at the end
> that quickly disappeared, but could not catch it ...),

Perhaps those messages I could not catch were relevant, because it seems
that the installation did not finish properly (most of base dirs and kernel
dir were not populated) - it just died.
I guessed that 192MB RAM assigned to VM was insufficient.
This has been already reported for FB 9.1 recently.

Next problem:
the installation's dmesg shows net driver em0, which is Intel PRO/1000 - and
this is how install offers to configure the network;
but my host has Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI
Express, which is bge0 driver in FB.
How to force it to discover the right net device during install, and/or after
install ?

Next problem:
I selected powerd service during install, but after boot, there was error msg:
starting powerd
powerd lookup freq: No such file or directory
/etc/rc: WARNING failed to start powerd

Next problem:
when I am logged out from FB, and I do (I tested it repeatedly)

Machine-Close-Power off the machine
to cloce VM with FB, then on subsequent VM Start and FB reboot I get error
msgs:
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ada0s1a [rw]...
WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
Starting file system checks:
** SU+J Recovering /dev/ada0s1a

but when I do
Machine-Close-Send the shutdown signal
there are no errors, just normal msgs:
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ada0s1a [rw]...
Starting file system checks:
/dev/ada0s1a: FILE SYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS

jb