connect to a network printer to be able to print

Trond Endrestøl Trond.Endrestol at fagskolen.gjovik.no
Wed Feb 27 17:23:38 UTC 2013

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:45-0600, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> Dear folks,
>
> I am trying to connect a network printer to be able to print to it.  I
> know the make/model of the printer:
> HP Color LaserJet CP4520
> and the ip address it is on
> 10.155.135.3
>
> I want to use lpd/lpr to be able to print as is specified in
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/lpdprinting.html
>
> I read the instructions on the handbook, but it does not specify how
> to use the ip address or specify it to print to it.  How can I set
> this printer up?
> I have setup /etc/printcap with the following:
>
> lp:\
>         :lp=:\
>         :sh:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :rm=HP_Color_LaserJet_CP4520:\
>         :rp=raw:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
>
> but there is no ip adress where the communication can exist.  How can
> I do this?  Do I setup the printer with CUPS?  or can it be done with
> lpr which is what I use with a local HP 1200 printer, but this one is
> a network printer.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Antonio

Does the name HP_Color_LaserJet_CP4520 resolve to its IP address?

What about using a FQDN?

Does the name exist in your local DNS zone or does the name exist in
the local /etc/hosts file?

Either make sure the name is resolvable, or specify the IP address in
the /etc/printcap file.

Your HP printer should be equipped with a JetDirect card, and you
should be able to print a configuration page revealing the current
settings.

If the settings doesn't match your network, then you need to input the
desired settings. I guess this would be possible through the use of
the LCD display and the buttons nearby.

Best of luck,
Trond.

--
| Vennlig hilsen,               | Best regards,                      |