ZFS root, error 2 when mounting root

bw.mail.lists bw.mail.lists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 09:42:27 UTC 2013

Basically, I tried to follow
https://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE, but ended up
with a system that didn't know how to mount /.

There are two scripts attached.

zfsnocache.sh follows the instructions on the wiki. The system booted
just fine, but when it got to the part where it mounts the root
partition, it stopped with 'error 2' 'unknown file system'. I could
import the pool when booting from LiveFS, I wrote to it, it was working
fine, but at boot it just refused to be mounted as /.

zfswithcache.sh from http://strahlert.net/wordpress/?p=142, I think.
This worked with no issues.

The main difference I see between those two scripts is that one doesn't
use a cache file and the other one does, hence the name of the scripts.
But it should work without cachefile too, shouldn't it? The other
difference is how mountpoints are set, but I can't figure out what could
be wrong there.

Can someone please explain why zfsnocache fails to mount / ?