Should I bother with a gvinum stripe when using a pair of SSDs?

Jens Schweikhardt schweikh at schweikhardt.net
Sat Feb 16 14:47:59 UTC 2013

hello, world\n

currently the only gvinum partition on my home system is a stripe for /home
across two Velociraptor HDDs. I'm thinking of replacing the HDDs with a
pair of SSDs. I was thinking of reducing complexity and in the migration
possibly no longer use gvinum at all--one less thing to configure and worry
about.

 * Would gvinum striping bring any speed advantage with a pair of SSDs?
 * Or am I hitting other limits so that striping SSDs is a waste anyway?
 * Should I finally take the plunge and acquaint myself with ZFS?

System has 4GB RAM in an ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe with SATA II. It appears to me
that SATA II with 300MB/s is maxed out by a single SSD and striping it
will not improve r/w throughput. Is my simplistic reasoning correct?

Regards,

	Jens
--
Jens Schweikhardt http://www.schweikhardt.net/